Mac and Cheese is my go-to comfort food. If I’m sick, sad, or the weather is (finally) cold, I want some Mac and Cheese. I’ll eat the blue box stuff, it reminds me of when I was a kid, but homemade Mac and Cheese is just amazing!I love that you can add so many different optional ingredients to change it up. Green onions, tomatoes, bacon, hot dogs, broccoli, ranch mix, etc. I’ve got the classic recipe and all the ingredients for you below.
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and colby jack
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and colby jack
- salt and pepper
- Optional: green onions, tomatoes, ranch mix, crisp bacon bits
- Cook macaroni about 10 minutes and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add flour to make the roux. Let simmer, stirring to remove lumps.
- Add milk and cook, continue stirring until thick and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in 2 cups of cheese and cook until melted.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni, mix thoroughly, and transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.
What do you like to add to your Mac and Cheese? Let me know in the comments!