I’m back with another dessert Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe! And this one is a bit over the top and colorful! It’s a Funfetti Cake Grilled Cheese Sandwich made with pound cake, frosting, cream cheese, and a lot of sprinkles! Don’t worry, the cake is buttered and then grilled, so I still somewhat fulfilled the definition of grilled cheese sandwich (two slices of bread, buttered and grilled, with cheese in between them), but I am cheating a bit because my “bread” isn’t really a bread since it wasn’t baked with yeast in it. Oh well. I’m overlooking that small fact. Plus it has sprinkles, so who cares! Here’s the recipe:
- 6 slices of pound cake - 1.5 - 2" thick
- 3 TB butter
- 6 spoonfuls of cream cheese frosting (2 ounces softened butter, 2 ounces softened cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, ½ tsp vanilla extract)
- 8-10 TB rainbow sprinkles
- Start by making your cream cheese frosting.
- Mix 6 Tb of sprinkles into your cream cheese frosting.
- Spread the rest of the sprinkles on a plate for dipping.
- Next, melt 1 Tb of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat on the stovetop.
- Once melted, drop your two slices of pound cake onto the skillet and grilled. Once one side is done, flip and grill the other side.
- Repeat for the other pound cake slices.
- Next, spoon 2 TB of cram cheese funfetti frosting onto 3 of the slices, then top them with the other slices of grilled poundcake.
- Dip the frosting that spills out of the pound cake into sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!
I suppose if you wanted to go for realism, you could use a thin layer of cream cheese and no sprinkles and this might actually look like a real grilled cheese sandwich! But I think everything is more fun with sprinkles! And if you like the idea of a dessert grilled cheese, then you would probably like my Strawberry Marscapone Grilled Cheese Donut. Check it out!