Yeah, I just used the word that shall not ever be used: moist! This pumpkin bread is SO good and SO moist! It’s more like cake!The original recipe comes from the Monastery of the Angels just down the hill from the Hollywood Sign. The nuns have been making the pumpkin bread for the past 45+ years as one of their only sources of income. The loaves sell for $10 each and I’m sure are worth every cent. You might eat it and think you’ve died and gone to heaven, again, pun intended. If you live nearby, stop by the monastery and support the nuns. If not, I’ve got a slightly revised recipe for you here:
- 3.5 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 large 29 oz. canned pumpkin
- optional: walnut halves
- Combine eggs, oil, water, and pumpkin.
- Mix well and stir into dry ingredients.
- Pour into 3 greased 9 x 5 loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.