This Breakfast Mac & Cheese recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I love Mac and Cheese so much, I decided to try making it for breakfast! The best meal of the day! This Breakfast Mac and Cheese is made with apple chicken sausage, roasted tomatoes, has a biscuit crumb topping, and is topped with baked eggs. It’s perfect for weekend breakfasts, brunch, or even breakfast for dinner on a weeknight. Mac and Cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods! I could almost eat it everyday. And I love breakfast and It’s always a treat to eat breakfast for dinner. I always feel like I’m cheating when I have breakfast for dinner. So silly. It doesn’t get much better than Mac and Cheese for breakfast! Next time, I might change it up by adding bacon and a hash brown crust! Or maybe a corn bread crust. Ready for the recipe?
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup roasted cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup green onions, diced
- 3 chicken sausages, cooked & sliced
- 3 eggs, separate yolks and egg whites.
- 2 biscuits, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni about 10 minutes and set aside.
- Cook and slice sausage, dice green onions.
- To roast tomatoes, slice tomatoes in half, arrange on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and roast in oven for 15-20 minutes.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add flour to make the roux. Let simmer, stirring to remove lumps.
- Add milk and cook, continue stirring until thick and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in 2 cups of cheese and cook until melted.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni, mix thoroughly. Carefully stir in the sausage, green onions, and roasted tomatoes.
- Transfer to a buttered casserole dish and sprinkle the other 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the biscuit crumbles on top.
- Using a spoon, create 3 wells and add egg whites to the wells.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks on top of the egg whites and bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until done.
- Top with additional green onions.
I used Barilla® Protein Plus elbow pasta as the pasta in this recipe because it has 17g of protein from all natural vegetarian ingredients and I’ve been trying to get more protein into my diet. I picked up the Barilla Protein Plus elbow pasta during one my trips to Target and I saved money using this Cartwheel offer. You can learn more about Barilla here or follow them on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, or Twitter!