I have to admit that before the twins, I was not really into meal prepping, but now that I have zero time and I have to feed a family of four (soon to be five), I am ALL about it! So today, I’m sharing my recipe for a delicious One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta which is an easy, quick meal for the entire family and leaves little cleanup in the kitchen because you only need to use … one pot!
So how does one pot pasta work? It’s self-saucing! Meaning as the pasta cooks in the pot with the fresh ingredients, starches are released which thicken the cooking liquid to produce a flavorful sauce.
And this recipe is very customizable. Make it healthier using brown rice spaghetti. Want to add some protein? Top it with some grilled chicken! Want more veggies? Add some mushrooms! Want more flavor? Substitute chicken broth instead of the water. Different flavors? Play with other herbs and spices!
Here’s the ingredients that I used, the full recipe is below:
- Grapeseed oil
- Garlic cloves
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Parmesan Cheese
Next time I make this, I may try onion powder in place of the raw onions and use Italian seasoning in place of the red pepper flakes.
My recipe makes enough for two servings, so one for you and one for someone else, or one for you for dinner tonight and then refrigerate the other half for tomorrow night! If you’re making it family size, then be sure to double or triple the recipe.
- 4 oz. spaghetti
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cubes frozen garlic or 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 onion, sliced in julienne strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese as garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir occasionally to ensure pasta is submerged in liquid.
- Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce to medium heat and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened, almost all the liquid has evaporated, and pasta is thoroughly cooked.
- Season to taste with extra salt and pepper as desired. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 840mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g
All information presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on saltycanary.com is provided as a courtesy, is an estimate only, and should only be used as a general guideline.