My husband and I had a little movie night recently with some themed popcorn! I made Rainbow Kettle Corn! We’re pretty big Pixar and Disney fans and we love watching the new Pixar and Disney movies when they come out on DVD. And I love making themed food, so this rainbow colored popcorn was perfect for watching the movie Inside Out! If you want to make some Rainbow Kettle Corn for your movie night, I’ve got the recipe and how-to right here for you! You’re going to need a few ingredients:
- popcorn kernels
- food coloring
- vegetable oil
The full printable recipe is below.
- For each color of popcorn you need:
- 1/4 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4-5 drops of food coloring
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- I make my popcorn in a stirring popcorn pan on the stove-top, so these instructions are for using that to make popcorn.
- First, mix all of your colors of sugar. Add 4-5 drops of food coloring to each 1/3 cup of sugar that you want to color.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp oil to the bottom of your pan along with 3 kernels of popcorn and set to medium heat.
- When all 3 kernels have popped, add your single color of colored sugar and 1/4 cup of popcorn.
- Pop the popcorn, spinning the spinner so nothing burns, until all popcorn has popped, then remove from heat.
- Pour colored popcorn out onto a baking sheet or into a bowl and lightly sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Repeat the steps for each color of kettle corn you would like to make.
- Stir and break apart kettle corn using a butter knife.