Hate having to choose between the two great loves of your life? Well, don’t. Instead, mix them together and make some homemade Pizza Ice Cream! Yes, that is mozzarella ice cream topped with a homemade tomato jam sauce with itty-bitty pepperonis on top. Pizza Ice Cream. You’re welcome. Is it good? Mmmm … it’s odd. It’s cheese-flavored ice cream. Topped with a sweetened tomato sauce and meat. Will people like it? I don’t know … people eat anything these days, so I’m sure someone will like it, and I’m sure most people will want to at least try it!
And the best part is, you can make it yourself at home and give it a try. Here’s the recipe:
Pizza Ice Cream
Pizza Ice Cream: Mozzarella ice cream topped with homemade tomato jam sauce and mini pepperonis
- Mozzarella Ice Cream:
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 pinches of salt
- Tomato Jam Sauce:
- 5-7 medium cooking tomatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Mini Pepperonis on top
- Combine the milk, heavy whipping cream, half the sugar, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking intermittently.
- While heating, combine the egg yolks and the other half of sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- When the milk mixture has come to a boil, pour ⅓ of it into the egg mixture and stir. Then pour another ⅓ and stir, and then the final ⅓ and stir.
- Next, pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, but do not let it come to a boil.
- Then transfer the mixture to a bowl by straining it through a sieve to remove large chunks of cheese. Allow it to come to room temperature and then refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- After the custard mixture is chilled, follow the manufacturer's instructions on your ice cream maker to make the ice cream. Then transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container for storing.
- While ice cream is churning, make your tomato jam sauce. Combine the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove and allow to cook and thicken to desired consistency. Strain to remove seeds if desired. Refrigerate.
- Allow ice cream to harden in the freezer overnight.
- Serve in an ice cream cone with a spoonful of tomato jam and mini pepperonis on top.
If you can’t choose between a pizza party and an ice cream social, you can serve this and just have both! A pizza ice cream social! But I would probably recommend regular pizza and ice cream to have on hand, too!
Tell me if you’d try Pizza Ice Cream in a comment below!