Did you know that February is National Grapefruit Month? If you live anywhere that has a bunch of citrus trees, you’ll start to notice all the enormous lemons and oranges hanging on trees … except they aren’t lemons or oranges, they’re grapefruits! So today I’m sharing a grapefruit mint sugar scrub I whipped up as a birthday present and Valentine’s Day present for a couple of friends with some leftover grapefruits I had from my Fizzy Grapefruit Mojito Mocktail. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make this sugar scrub, or how amazing it is to USE a sugar scrub! Luckily this recipe makes enough sugar scrub to fill two small mason jars and half of a third so you can gift two and keep the half to use on yourself! If you’ve never used a sugar scrub before (and I hadn’t), trust me when I say go buy some grapefruit and coconut oil and whip this up in your kitchen tonight! Your skin will thank me! Ready to make your sugar scrub? You’ll need a few ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- zest of 1 grapefruit
- 4 Tbsp grapefruit juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 drops tea tree oil (a little goes a LONG way, go easy)
- 10-12 drops mint oil
- optional: 10-12 drops grapefruit oil for a stronger scent
- 1 tsp beet juice
- Start by chopping your beet and adding it to a small saucepan with 1/4 cup water and let it simmer on the stove over low heat for a few minutes to get some juices out.
- As it heats, combine your coconut oil and sugar in your stand mixer and mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Then add the zest of 1 grapefruit, your grapefruit juice, essential oils, and the 1 tsp of beet juice from the saucepan on the stove.
- Let it whip, (we both are here to have the fun, so let it whip! Ok, who wants to watch Pitch Perfect now? ??) and then add to your jars.
- Keep refrigerated between use.
- Enjoy your soft skin!
And you can swap out the mint essential oil for eucalyptus or tea tree oil or anything else you’d rather smell! You can also add in additional grapefruit oil for a stronger grapefruit smell. And then all you need to do is add a ribbon and a gift tag and you’ve got a quick homemade gift ready for giving! Do you have a sugar scrub recipe? What do you add to yours? Let me know in the comments! I’m addicted and I’m looking for new flavors!