Are you ready for the Oscars on Sunday? Whether you’re hosting a viewing party or making it a simple evening on the couch, I’ve got a delicious but simple recipe to glam up your popcorn by adding dark chocolate and coconut! You can opt for dark chocolate, milk chocolate, toasted coconut, sweetened coconut, coconut shavings, whatever you have on hand or prefer! Like I said, it’s a simple recipe! Ok, let’s get popping! (Sorry, I can’t resist a pun!)
- 1 cup of unpopped popcorn
- 2 tsp of coconut oil, divided
- ½ cup chocolate chips (your choice: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate)
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup toasted coconut flakes
- ½ tsp sea salt to taste
- If you're going to toast your coconut flakes, start with that by putting ½ cup of sweetened coconut flakes in a thin layer on a baking sheet and baking them at 350 for 7-12 minutes or until browned to your liking.
- Next, put 1½ tsp of coconut oil in the bottom of your popcorn popping pan and melt.
- Add three kernels of popcorn and once all 3 pop, pour the rest of your unpopped popcorn into the pan and continue to shake (or stir the handle if you're using a popcorn maker) until the popping slows. Remove from heat.
- Next, use the double boiler method to melt your chocolate with ½ tsp of coconut oil (to make it drizzle better).
- Then spread your popcorn out on a layer of wax paper on a baking pan and drizzle with chocolate, sprinkle with coconut flakes, and add a dash of sea salt.
- Let the chocolate harden, then add to bowls and enjoy!
I opted for using milk chocolate (I’m not a dark chocolate fan) and both toasted and regular sweetened coconut flakes to add some crunch and some chewiness along with some sea salt. I’m usually NOT a huge fan of the salty/sweet mix, but this is GOOD!
Pour a couple glasses of pink bubbly and you’re all set for a glamorous evening debating whether or not Leo is going to win. Want a little more than just popcorn and bubbles? Check out my Friday Five below for some last-minute Oscars ideas:
- Award Worthy Bar Cart
- Free Printable 2016 Oscar Ballot
- DIY Gold Photo Backdrop
- S’mores Popcorn Recipe
- Champagne Cupcakes
I hope everyone has a fab weekend and wins their Oscar Ballot pools – I always come in second place and I’m hoping for a win this year!