Did you know that April is Grilled Cheese Month? And April 12th is Grilled Cheese Day! Since grilled cheese and pizza are probably my two favorite foods, I had to do a little mashup and make this ooey-gooey, cheesy, and over-the-top Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
I made this Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich using my favorite grilled cheese sandwich bread and cheese: Sourdough and Cheddar Cheese. However, you can mix it up and use whatever your favorite grilled cheese bread and cheese is! And then after the sandwich is cooked, I topped it with traditional pizza toppings including tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni!
It’s seriously over-the-top and not something I would make every day, but perfect for celebrating Grilled Cheese Day!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mini pepperonis
- 2 basil leaves, diced (optional)
- Butter your sourdough bread.
- Preheat broiler.
- Lay one slice butter side down in a pan over medium heat on the stove.
- Add your two slices of cheddar cheese and cover with the other slice of sourdough bread, butter side up.
- Grill until desired brownness. Flip.
- Grilled the other side to desired color.
- Remove from heat, top sandwich with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, and mini pepperonis.
- Place sandwich on a baking sheet and place under broiler for approximately 2 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melted.
- Garnish with a chiffonade of basil.