You know that one meal you can eat over and over again and not get sick of it? For me, that meal is a grilled cheese sandwich! I’m a big fan of diners where you can eat a grilled cheese sandwich with french fries and a milkshake. And, since getting pregnant, all I’ve wanted to eat are grilled cheese sandwiches! Give me all the carbs! My husband even jokes that I might give birth to two grilled cheese sandwiches! But since I’m pregnant, I have to eat healthier and I have to simply eat more, so I came up with this Rainbow Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich stuffed with tons of veggies! Plus, it’s pretty! The beauty of this sandwich is that you can make it however you want! Don’t like beets? Substitute with tomatoes! Don’t like avocado? Use cucumbers instead! Don’t like cheese? Add some green goddess dressing spread and don’t grill it! But if you are making a grilled cheese, the challenge is to slice and dice everything thin enough so it all fits AND use enough cheese to make it ooey-gooey melty to glue everything in place. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 slices of Alpine Valley Bakery bread
- 1 Tb butter, spreadable or soft
- 3 slices of white cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of canned beets, sliced matchstick style
- 3 Tb shredded carrots
- ¼ of a yellow bell pepper, sliced matchstick style
- ¼ avocado, thinly sliced
- 3 Tb sprouts
- 3 Tb shredded red cabbage
- Start by buttering one side of each of your bread slices.
- Place one slice, buttered side down, in a pan on your stovetop.
- Next, place a slice of white cheddar cheese on top, followed by the sliced beets, shredded carrots, and sliced yellow bell pepper.
- Next, add another slice of cheese, then top with 4-5 thin slices of avocado, the sprouts, and shredded red cabbage.
- Finished with another slice of cheese and your last piece of bread, butter side up.
- Cook on the stovetop over medium low heat until the bottom slice of bread is browned.
- To flip, use a spatula to raise the sandwich off the pan, carefully balancing it while you flip your pan over to the top uncooked part of the sandwich. Make sure the uncooked side is touching the pan, then flip the pan right side up and continue grilling until the other side is browned.
- Remove from the stove, slice in half diagonally, look at the pretty rainbow, and enjoy!
I used Alpine Valley Bakery Multi Grain with Omega 3 Bread to make my sandwiches because they are certified organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, and Whole Grain Council-approved loaves with a taste and texture you’ll love. It’s a delicious taste with soft texture and clean, simple, and organic ingredients. Alpine Valley Bakery has 12 different breads to choose from such as Multi Grain with Omega 3, Super Grains, Country White, and more! These are slices to savor and all varieties are certified organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, and Whole Grain Council-approved. What’s your favorite type of sandwich? Turkey? BLT? Club sandwich? Let me know in the comments below!