Popcorn is such a great snack! It’s perfect for a cozy movie night when the weather starts getting cooler, or for Halloween night when you keep having to get up to answer the door and pass out candy. And did you know that October is National Popcorn Poppin’ Month? In my house, every month is popcorn poppin’ month! It’s such a healthy, inexpensive snack! Sometimes I eat it for dinner when I have nothing else to eat and I refuse to go grocery shopping. I typically just season it with some salt, but in honor of Popcorn Poppin’ Month, I’ve got three seasoning recipes for you! Today I’m sharing my S’mores Popcorn Recipe.
But first of all, I have to let you in on a little secret. The absolute best popcorn for popping is the Kroger brand white popcorn kernels. You thought I was going to say a major brand name, right? Nope! It’s the regular ol’ store brand from your local Ralphs. It pops up so well! Other brands pop small, but Kroger brand popcorn pops big and full. Trust me on this one!
I pop my popcorn on the stovetop. I can’t stand the smell of chemical-popped bag microwave popcorn and I don’t have an air popper, plus I like how it tastes on the stovetop, so that’s how I make it! I use a Whirley-Pop because the little spinner thing makes it easy to turn the popcorn so it doesn’t burn, but you can also just use a large pot as long as you shake it constantly.
Here’s how to make it: heat 1 tablespoon of oil (or enough to coat the bottom) in a pot. I use vegetable oil, but you can use canola oil, grape seed oil, olive oil, etc. Add 3 kernels of popcorn. Once they pop, add a 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels and cover the pot. Once they start popping, spin the Whirley-Pop or shake the pan to make sure the popcorn doesn’t burn. Once the popping slows down, remove the pot from the heat and transfer the popcorn to bowl.
Check out the instructions below for how to make delicious S’mores Popcorn!
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn (yields about 12 cups popped popcorn)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 4 T butter
- 1/8 cup of corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 package or 1 cup of crumbled graham crackers
- (optional: can use graham cracker crust, or golden grahams cereal)
- Pop popcorn on the stovetop.
- Spread parchment paper on 2 cookie sheets.
- Spread popcorn, graham cracker crumbles, 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips on 2 cookie sheets.
- Heat 2 cups marshmallows, 1 cup chocolate chips, 4 T butter, 1/8 cup corn syrup in saucepan on stove.
- Stir until everything is melted. (I had to really stir to get the marshmallows blended).
- Add vanilla. Stir.
- Drizzle over popcorn mix on cookie sheets.
- Lightly salt.
- Allow to cool, gently break apart, and enjoy!