Popcorn is such a great snack! It’s perfect for a cozy movie night when the weather starts getting cooler, or for Halloween night when you keep having to get up to answer the door and pass out candy. And did you know that October is National Popcorn Poppin’ Month? In my house, every month is popcorn poppin’ month! It’s such a healthy, inexpensive snack! Sometimes I eat it for dinner when I have nothing else to eat and I refuse to go grocery shopping. I typically just season it with some salt, but in honor of Popcorn Poppin’ Month, I’ve got 3 popcorn seasoning recipes for you! And, today I’m sharing the recipe for Garlic Parmesan Popcorn Seasoning!
But first of all, I have to let you in on a little secret. The absolute best popcorn for popping is the Kroger brand white popcorn kernels. You thought I was going to say a major brand name, right? Nope! It’s the regular ol’ store brand from your local Ralphs. It pops up so well! Other brands pop small, but Kroger brand popcorn pops big and full. Trust me on this one!I pop my popcorn on the stovetop. I can’t stand the smell of chemical popped bag microwave popcorn and I don’t have an air popper, plus I like how it tastes on the stovetop, so that’s how I make it! I use a Whirley-Pop Popcorn Maker because the little spinner thing makes it easy to turn the popcorn so it doesn’t burn, but you can use a large pot as long as you shake it constantly.
Here’s how to make it: heat 1 tablespoon (or enough to coat the bottom) of oil in a pot. I use vegetable oil, but you can use canola oil, grape seed oil, etc. Add 3 kernels of popcorn. When they pop, add the 1/2 cup of kernels and cover. Once they start popping, spin the Whirley-Pop or shake the pan to make sure popcorn doesn’t burn. When the popping slows down, remove from the heat and transfer the popcorn to bowl.
- 1/2 cup of unpopped popcorn (yields about 12 cups of popped popcorn)
- 4 T of butter
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried dill
- dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. extra table salt to season (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine and mix the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and dill.
- Heat the butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and pour half over popcorn and gently toss (I use a butter knife to mix, it's gentle on the popcorn). Pour remaining butter over popcorn and gently toss.
- Sprinkle Garlic Parmesan Seasoning mix over popcorn and toss gently.