Now this is my kind of grilled cheese sandwich! A Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich for National Grilled Cheese Month. This is one comfort food stuffed into another comfort food and then grilled to perfection! For this one, I used boxed Mac & Cheese, white bread, and both cheddar and liquid cheese. Yeah, it’s that kind of sandwich! And my stomach is growling … Here’s the full recipe:
- 6 slices of white bread
- 3 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 box of macaroni and cheese (plus butter/milk)
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- optional: drizzle of liquid cheese
- Start by making your macaroni and cheese according to the instructions on the box.
- While it cooks, butter your bread slices on one side and then add a layer of mayonnaise on top of the butter.
- Next, drop that mac and cheese into a frying pan and give it a bit of grill. Once lightly grilled, remove from the frying pan and place it in a bowl.
- Next, take one slice of bread, place it in the frying pan butter side down. Next add spoonfuls of Mac and Cheese to the slice of bread evenly.
- Then place a single slice of cheddar cheese on top.
- And then another slice of bread, butter side up.
- Once one side is nicely browned, flip it - you might need two spatulas to do so cleanly.
- Once the other side is browned, remove from the frying pan.
- Repeat with the other two sandwiches.
Of course, you can also make the gourmet version of this sandwich using sourdough bread, homemade mac and cheese, toss in some green onions, maybe some tomato pesto, and more cheddar cheese! Or stick to this version and treat yourself to an after-school special! You can even top it with liquid cheese if it isn’t cheesy (or messy) enough for you!
On a Friday side note: does anyone have any recommendations for introducing the meanest, bitiest senior cat in the world to the sweetest cat ever? Or does anyone know Jackson Galaxy and can send him over? I’ll make him a grilled cheese sandwich! We’re struggling despite following all the instructions on how to introduce the two cats and it’s mostly just our senior cat, Poops (again, I did not name her), who doesn’t want to get along. I don’t blame her, but I want her to figure out that the behavior has to stop. If you missed my previous grilled cheese sandwiches, I’ve got the links to them right here: Grilled Cheese Double Cheeseburger and a Strawberry Mascarpone Donut Grilled Cheese! And my Funfetti Pound Cake Grilled Cheese! I can’t believe the month is almost over, but I’ve got a few more grilled cheese sandwich ideas, so I might do them next month or later this summer.