Thanks to global warming, it is unfortunately still going to be warm for at least another month here in California, so I’m sharing this delicious Mint and Melon Salad with Feta and Pickled Onions. Plus, I’m pretty sure watermelons and honeydew are imported from tropical climates, so this is actually a year-round recipe and is perfect for serving at brunch!
You can make this salad as sliced melon or use a melon baller to make it fancy with melon balls! I think it looks nice and fancy for a brunch fruit salad with the melon balls. If you’re going to try melon balls for the first time, purchase a good melon baller and maybe get an extra watermelon to practice the first time in order to get the perfectly round balls (not the half balls). The tip for getting perfectly round balls is to press down firmly on the top of the spoon until you see melon coming through the tiny hole in the middle of the spoon. Then twist and scoop. If you just twist and scoop, you aren’t forcing melon into a round shape into the bottom of the spoon. Hopefully this makes sense … maybe I should make a video. Let me know in a comment below if you need a video tutorial.
It’s also great as a side dish for end of summer or early fall grilling and barbeques with chicken or fish. It’s got just a bit of mint with some feta and pickled onions to give it a little something extra.
My in-laws were my samplers for this dish and they LOVED it! My mother-in-law said you could expect this at a fancy restaurant!
Ready for the recipe? It’s just a few ingredients. You can leave out the pickled onions if you don’t like them or add some grilled red onion if you want to change it up.
Mint and Melon Salad with Feta and Pickled Onions
- 1 mini watermelon, sliced or melon balled
- 1 honeydew melon, sliced or melon balled
- 2 Tbsp mint, chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp feta cheese
- 3 Tbsp pickled onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- First, make your dressing by combining the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Next, gently combine the watermelon, honeydew, chopped mint, feta cheese, and pickled onions.
- Then pour the dressing and gently mix until coated.
- Sprinkle with more pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- If not serving immediately, gather ingredients and then combine just before serving, otherwise the red from the watermelon will discolor the cheese.
If you liked this, you’ll also probably like my Citrus Vinaigrette Salad Dressing, my Beet Salad on a Stick, or my Rainbow Pasta Parmesan Appetizer on a Stick!