Ok, this might be one of my favorite things that I’ve ever made! Pizza waffles! Waffles stuffed with pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperonis! They are SO good!!! Honestly, I don’t really use our waffle maker enough. If I want a waffle for breakfast, then I’m going to get a Belgian waffle with whipped cream and strawberries from a local restaurant. For some reason, they usually taste better – maybe because I don’t have to do the dishes! But a pizza waffle for dinner? They are seriously the quickest way to make homemade pizza. I made these pizza waffles using both the herb flavored pizza dough and regular pizza dough from Trader Joe’s and the herb flavored dough wins hands down! If you use a regular pizza dough, you might want to mix some herbs and spices into the dough before waffling. Here’s the recipe and how to:
- 1 Garlic & Herb Pizza Dough (I got mine from Trader Joes)
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mini pepperonis
- While your waffle maker heats, dust a cutting board with flour as well as your ball of dough and divide the dough into 4 balls. Use a rolling pin and lightly roll each ball into a circle. Use your fingers to pull the dough wider if needed.
- Lay one dough circle on your heated waffle maker and quickly top with a few spoonfuls of pizza dough, a quarter cup of shredded cheese, and a handful of pepperonis.
- Top it with another pizza dough circle and close your waffle maker to let it cook.
- Once your waffle maker beeps that it's done, check to see if it is golden brown, and if not cook longer.
- You should have enough to make a second waffle.
- When both are done, you can slice the waffles into quarters and preheat your broiler.
- Arrange the quarters on a baking pan and top each pizza waffle quarter with a sprinkle of cheese and a few pepperonis.
- Broil on high until the cheese is melted and the pepperonis crisp on the edges.
Seriously, if you have a waffle maker, make some pizza waffles! If you don’t have a waffle maker … go get one!