Are you ready for this? Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Jumbo Shells. Yes! That’s cheese covered pasta stuffed into BIGGER PASTA and covered with even MORE CHEESE! Basically, comfort food stuffed into a bigger comfort food. I don’t know what it is, but I love stuffing food into a similar food. Like making an apple pie milkshake that tastes like apple pie AND has a mini apple pie on top. Or making a pizza flavored mozzarella cheese dip for mozzarella sticks. Mac and Cheese is my soul food. If I’m sick or feeling down, macaroni and cheese is what I turn to. But I wanted to make something a bit fancier than just homemade mac and cheese and I was hoping to make little single-serve mac and cheese bites that aren’t made in a cupcake pan. And, I think I did it! How awesome would these be as single serve appetizers at a party where guests can simply just grab a shell and eat it as an appetizer? Grab a shell, a fork, a plate. Or just use your fingers! Boom. Good to go! Ready for the recipe? Here’s the ingredients you’ll need:
Macaroni and Cheese Jumbo Stuffed Shells
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni
- 1 box jumbo shell pasta
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp bread crumbs
- Optional: green onions, tomatoes, ranch mix, crisp bacon bits
- Cook the jumbo shells about 13-14 minutes in boiling water, drain, and set aside.
- Cook elbow macaroni about 10 minutes and set aside.
- While elbow macaroni is boiling, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and add flour to make the roux. Let simmer and immediately stir to remove lumps.
- Add milk and cook, continuously stirring until thick and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in 3 cups of cheese and cook until melted.
- Set aside half a cup of the cheese sauce, then add the remaining cheese sauce to macaroni, mix thoroughly.
- Butter a casserole dish, then take your large cooked shells and stuff each one with 1-2 spoonfuls of macaroni and cheese and set each onto into the casserole dish.
- When full, spoon the remaining cheese sauce over the large shells.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs onto the center of each shell.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until desired crispiness is reached.
- Top with optional ingredients.
Monday 13th of June 2016
Those cheese shells look FANTASTIC. I would love to be at a party with those. #client