Summer is heating up and I’ve got a hot ice cream to go with it! Sriracha Ice Cream! Do you like to add sriracha to everything? Put it in your ice cream! This Sriracha ice cream sounds crazy, but it is so creamy and surprisingly so good, but with a hot, hot, hot aftertaste! I didn’t think it was possible for ice cream to be both hot AND cold, but here it is! I think I added too much Sriracha (2 Tbsp) to my ice cream for my wimpy taste buds. Use only 1 T of Sriracha in your homemade ice cream recipe if you like Sriracha, 2T if you really like Sriracha, or 3-4T if your taste buds are dead. Here’s the full recipe:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 pinches of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1-2 Tbsp Sriracha
- Combine the milk, heavy whipping cream, half the sugar, salt, and Sriracha in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking intermittently.
- While heating, combine the egg yolks and the other half of sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- When the milk mixture has come to a boil, pour ⅓ of it into the egg mixture and stir. Then pour another ⅓ and stir, and then the final ⅓ and stir.
- Next, pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, but do not let it come to a boil.
- Then transfer the mixture to a clean bowl, allow it to come to room temperature, and then refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- After the mixture is chilled, follow the manufacturer's instructions on your ice cream maker to make the ice cream.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container for storing.
- When serving, top with extra Sriracha if you want it extra HOT!
I use an ice cream maker to churn my ice cream – I love how it makes the creamiest ice cream, but I do like to freeze the ice cream overnight to make it a bit firmer. If you would like to buy an ice cream maker at home, click here to see which one I recommend. Not hot enough? Add some more Sriracha on top like you would do with chocolate syrup. Or if this ice cream is just too HOT for you, I’ve got a great recipe for S’mores Ice Cream right here.