Hooray! It’s tomato season! I’m one of those weird picky eaters who LOVES tomatoes! And, I love pizza. But since I started working out and eating better, I’ve lost over 16 pounds and I know I can’t eat pizza like I used to, so in order to feed that craving I make these mini Tomato & Basil English Muffin Frozen Pizzas and load them up with fresh veggies (like tomatoes), light cheese, and usually some chicken as added protein.
I love to try to see how many tomatoes I can pile on top of each mini pizza. Aside from the tomato sauce base, I try to include two types of tomatoes on top – usually on-the-vine tomatoes as well as diced cherry or grape tomatoes. And if two mini pizzas isn’t enough food for you – add a side salad! Throw some tomatoes and chicken on top of that salad and you’ve got a pretty solid meal.
And you can make them ahead of time and freeze them! Meal prep has been such a time saver as well as a life saver for those nights when you get home late but didn’t have dinner and don’t want to cook – simply pop a couple Tomato & Basil English Muffin Frozen Pizzas in the oven and by the time you’re done putting your stuff away, checking the mail, etc., dinner is ready.
My husband came home late sometime last week and complained that he was still hungry. I told him to go pop in a couple frozen English Muffin Pizzas in the oven and as he was eating them he said, “Wow! These do NOT taste like frozen pizzas!” I don’t remember my response, but it was probably something like, “Yeah, I know. I made them!”
So, what I do is make the entire package of English muffins into mini pizzas. I toast all the English Muffins in the oven for 8-10 minutes to make sure they stay crispy, then I top all of them with tomato sauce, light mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and frozen chicken.
Last, I add a chiffonade of fresh basil on top. To make the basil chiffonade to place on top, simply wash and dry your de-stemmed fresh basil leaves and layer them on top of each other. The roll the layer up, and starting from the far end, slice off little strips of basil rolls.
Then I package up all of them, except for 2. The 2 go in the oven and the rest go into the freezer. Easy. The more exact recipe is below, but remember, you can make these English Muffin Pizzas all your own – add mushrooms, zucchini, pineapple, olives, bell peppers, onions, sausage, pepperoni, etc. Whatever you like on your pizza! This just happens to be what I like on MY pizza!
- Package of English muffins, each cut in half
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce per English Muffin slice
- 2 cups light mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4-5 on-the-vine tomatoes, diced
- 8-10 cherry or grape tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup frozen chicken pieces
- handful of basil leaves, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay out all the English Muffin slices on a baking pan and pre-cook them for 8-10 minutes so they get crispy.
- Remove from the oven and cover each slice with 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, a handful of light mozzarella cheese, a handful of diced tomatoes, a few pieces of frozen chicken, and a bit of basil.
- If heating right away, bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
- If heating from frozen, bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese in the center is melted and warm.