Another Friday, another s’mores recipe! Did you catch my first two s’mores recipes – S’mores in a Jar and a S’mores Milkshake? Since it’s National Ice Cream Month, today I’m sharing how to makes S’mores Ice Cream from scratch using your ice cream maker.I didnt want to make the ice cream using a chocolate ice cream base, but instead I really wanted the s’mores ingredients to pop against a vanilla ice cream base. And instead of simply throwing in some mini marshmallows, I TOASTED them first! Because s’mores have toasted marshmallows!To make this recipe, you’re going to need a few ingredients and your ice cream maker.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups toasted marshmallows
- 6 whole graham crackers, crumbled
- 1 chocolate bar, chopped
- optional: 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff and 1/2 cup hot fudge
- Combine the milk, heavy whipping cream, half the sugar, salt, and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking intermittently.
- While heating, combine the egg yolks and the other half of sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- When the milk mixture has come to a boil, pour 1/3 of it into the egg mixture and stir. Then pour another 1/3 and stir, and then the final 1/3 and stir.
- Next, pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, but do not let it come to a boil.
- Then transfer the mixture to a boil, allow to come to room temperature and then refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- After mixture is chilled, follow the manufacturer's instructions on your ice cream maker to make the ice cream.
- While ice cream is churning, toast your marshmallows, chop your chocolate and crumble your graham crackers to add into the ice cream during its last 3 minutes of churning.
- Then transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container for storing.
- If you would like to add extra marshmallow or hot fudge, drizzle marshmallow fluff and hot fudge into the ice cream in between layers in the freezer safe container.
- When serving, top with extra marshmallows as garnish.
How delicious does that look? Perfect for when you feel like a little camping treat, but without loading and unloading the car, setting up the tent, spraying bug spray, etc. And how good would this taste as an ice cream sandwich between two graham crackers! A s’more within a s’more?!? Stay tuned next Friday for another s’mores recipe!