I think August is my least favorite month – it has no holidays, it’s hot, and it’s RIGHT before my 4 favorite months of the year … like it’s teasing me that it’s almost fall, but I still have to get through August. Plus, August has been a bit slow for me … I went on a quick trip to Palm Springs (full recap coming to the blog soon) and I think I’m now in a vacation hangover. It’s like I got a little weekend taste, but now I want more!
Anyhow, I had a bunch of bell peppers, a dozen of eggs, and a handful of parsley leftover from a photoshoot so I thought I would put together a fun brunch idea of a different type of egg-in-a-hole using veggies, so I made Fried Eggs in a Bell Pepper Rings, Onion Rings, Avocado Rings, and Tomato Rings.
These are super easy to make – just slices of veggies, eggs, pepper, parsley, and green onions! Serve with mimosas and toast and you’ve got a super simple brunch where you aren’t spending all your time in the kitchen. I think I like the bell pepper rings the best – they’re quirky with the different colors and wacky shapes. Plus, the egg sticks to the insides of the bell peppers really well. The onions are second – lots of room for the egg and the bright purple color is great, but the egg doesn’t stick to the onion’s walls as well.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 bell peppers, your choice of colors
- 1 purple onion
- 1 tomatos
- 1 avocado
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- non-stick cooking spray
- First, slice your veggie of choice into 1 inch slices - making sure to remove the seeds/innards of the bell peppers and tomatoes.
- Next, preheat your skillet on the stove on high heat. When it gets hot enough, spray with cooking spray and add some veggie rings, then crack an egg into each one.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add a sprinkle of pepper to each egg along with a pinch of parsley and green onions.
- Allow the eggs to cook. If you want to keep them clean, remove the extra egg whites that leak from the rings using a spatula.
- Once the egg is done cooking, remove.
- Repeat with the rest of your veggie rings/eggs.
The Mister and I LOVE having little mini brunch parties on the weekends to catch up with friends and family, but we’ve been so busy working this year that we haven’t had a single one! I really need to re-prioritize some things and make more time for brunches and spend less time working.
Plus, I need to get our new house renovated so we can move in before the end of the year! Hopefully I can serve some of these fried eggs for breakfast Christmas morning in the new house. Fingers crossed!
Will you try one of these fried eggs in bell pepper rings? Or maybe the onion rings? Let me know in the comments below! Or they my Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes instead!