Fall is almost here (thank god! I’m so over this summer heat – bring on the fall sweater weather, the pumpkin everything, the apple picking, Halloween, etc!!), but there’s one last big hurrah for the unofficial end of summer: Labor Day Weekend! Family, friends, BBQs, a much needed day off, etc. And I thought I would make the most of summer fruit and make a Watermelon Fruit Pizza for dessert. With a watermelon base, cream cheese and fruit toppings, this dessert looks like a pizza, but tastes like summer! And I tried to include some summer, end of summer, and beginning of fall fruits like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, and a fig! I really wanted to include pomegranate seeds, but I couldn’t find a pomegranate or the seeds at the store and my neighbor’s tree isn’t ready just yet, but while I was outside checking their tree, I miraculously found an intact, ripe fig on MY fig tree! The raccoons and squirrels must have missed it! If you want to make your own watermelon pizza for dessert this Labor Day weekend, here’s the recipe. You can either make a cream cheese frosting or use whipped cream. Either would be delicious! I went with the cream cheese frosting because well, it’s cheese, so it’s a bit more like a real pizza, plus I wanted to see how it would taste. It’s a bit heavier than whipped cream, so your choice!
- 1 watermelon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 strawberries, sliced
- ½ peach, sliced
- 1 fig, sliced
- 12-14 blueberries
- 8-10 raspberries
- handful mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp toasted coconut shavings
- optional: 1 Tbsp honey
- Prep your cream cheese by creaming the butter and cream cheese together in a stand mixer. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Then wash and slice your watermelon, making sure to get a 1.5-2 inch slice out of the middle so it's the largest slice possible.
- Add your cream cheese frosting to the inside of the watermelon slice. Leave some pink fruit peaking through all the way around.
- Then add your strawberries and peaches, followed by the sliced fig, then the raspberries and blueberries. Top with a few leaves of mint. Then add a handful of toasted coconut shavings and a drizzle of honey.
- Slice into pieces and enjoy!
Do you have big plans for labor day weekend? I think we’re going to celebrate Labor Day literally by working a lot of the weekend to try to get ahead with work so we can take some mini trips next month. Plus, in Los Angeles, holiday weekends are terribly crowded and traffic-y. So we’ll probably just have a little BBQ one night and I’ll make this fruit pizza for dessert. If you’re having a BBQ, be sure to check out my Ranch Marinated Chicken Recipe and my Blackberry Limeade Recipe. They are both great for a BBQ! Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!