If you are currently in or planning to be in Marfa, Texas on a Monday, don’t despair! Yes, Monday through Wednesday, most of the town is closed as it’s truly a weekend town for tourists, but I’ve got a long list of What To Do in Marfa on a Monday for you below!
If you’re planning a trip to Marfa and your timing is flexible, try to plan to stay the weekend, preferably Thursday or Friday through Sunday, perhaps leaving on Monday. There are some places that are open during the week, but if you can plan around the closed days of Monday-Wednesday, then just do it to make the planning/scheduling easier for yourself!
However, if you can only take a trip on certain days, and Monday (or even Tuesday or Wednesday) is one of them, then I’ve got a huge list of things you can do in Marfa on a Monday. You’ll still have an awesome time, it just takes a little bit of extra planning.
What To Do in Marfa on a Monday
Where to Eat Breakfast in Marfa on a Monday:
Let’s start with breakfast. The two bigger hotels will be open, but if you’re looking to get out of your hotel, then the following should be open on a Monday. I say should because it’s Marfa and you just never know.
- Marfa Burritos
- Do Your Thing Coffee
- Frama Coffee
- The Sentinel (limited menu – coffee and baked goods)
- The Waterstop (more like brunch from 11 am-3 pm)
- Jett’s Grill at the El Paisano Hotel
- Hotel Saint George
Where to See Art in Marfa on a Monday:
Where to Go Shopping in Marfa on a Monday:
And if you want to check out any of the little boutique stores in town, just be sure to plan ahead and visit the ones that will be definitely closed on a Monday on either Saturday or Sunday and save the following shops to hit up on Monday!
- Wrong Marfa (they state that they try to be open daily)
- The Get Go Grocery
- Se Vende vending machine – it’s a 24/7 vending machine dispensing fun Marfa treasures
- Marfa Book Company
- Raba Marfa
- Pure Joy Marfa (by appointment, you need to text OPEN to 917.365.7672)
- Freda (by appointment only)
- Garza Marfa (possibly open by appointment)
Go explore the nearby towns of Alpine and Marathon, especially if you’re going out to Tiny Target near Marathon.
Another option is to relax at the Hotel Saint George pool, Bar Nadar, just be sure to check their seasonal opening times. I don’t know if you can still get into the pool for the day for a fee if you’re not a hotel guest, so be sure to call and ask the hotel beforehand.
Or hang out at El Cosmico. You can literally hang out there in a hammock!
The courthouse will be open on a Monday and you can go to the top of the cupola for a beautiful view and take a panoramic photo of Marfa!
And if you’re into taking photos, be sure to check out my list of the Most Instagrammable Spots in Marfa. (Coming soon.) Most places will be accessible on a Monday, so you can go on a little photo safari!
Other ideas include:
- The McDonald Observatory hosts star parties on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday nights, but they’re also open during the day for tours on Mondays.
- Grab some ice cream at Frama!
- Big Bend Coffee Roasters: it’s not obvious from their website, but I think you can stop in and see how they roast their coffee beans, etc. Plus, grab a bag of coffee to take home as a souvenir or gift!
- You may be able to schedule a facial at Mira Marfa or a massage at The Well.
Where to Eat Lunch and Dinner in Marfa on a Monday:
- Bar Saint George
- Jett’s Grill at the El Paisano Hotel
- Cochineal – They allegedly only order enough food for their estimated guests, so reservations are essential.
- The Sentinel
If you’re staying at El Cosmico or an Airbnb and you want to make lunch or dinner “at home” you can also hit up one of the two grocery stores in town, they’re both open on a Monday:
Where to Get Drinks in Marfa on a Monday:
If you’re looking for something to do at night, be sure to go check out the Marfa Mystery Lights at the Marfa Lights Viewing Station just a short drive out of town. The first time I was there in 2014, we didn’t see anything, but on my most recent trip last year, we definitely saw something out there! Depending on the time of year, I recommend dressing in layers or bringing a jacket. There are benches out there if you want to do a little sunset picnic dinner (pick up some sammies at The Get Go) and there are restrooms.
On the other hand, here is what is definitely CLOSED on a Monday in Marfa:
- Boyz II Men (aka Bad Hombres)
- Pizza Foundation
- Al Campo, La Playa, & Bar de Jugos
- Food Shark
- Bun n Roses
- Convenience West
- Planet Marfa
- Judd Foundation Tour
- Chinati Foundation Tour
- Ballroom Marfa
- Marfa Brand Soap Company
- The Marfa Store
- Cobra Rock
- Sister Gaiya
- Ranch Dressing
Of course, if you’re in Marfa on a Monday, there’s probably nothing you have to do, so you can also just wander around, go with the flow, and see where the town takes you!
Looking for more Marfa Inspo? Check out my other Marfa-related posts: