This Fake “Fried” Chicken and Waffles Recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Since Roscoe’s House of Chicken & Waffles might be closing due to bankruptcy, I thought I would share a Fried Chicken and Waffle recipe so you can make the dish at home for either breakfast or dinner! But not just any fried chicken – a fake baked fried chicken made with a cereal crumb coating using Honey Bunches of Oats cereal which is baked in the oven instead of fried. My husband LOVES fried chicken and he LOVES waffles, so this recipe is perfect for him and a bit healthier since it isn’t fried. Plus this is perfect for when you want breakfast for dinner, but want something more than just bacon and eggs. Here’s the recipe:
- 4-6 chicken legs
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tb paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted
- Start by whisking your buttermilk and 2 eggs together, then put your chicken in a small bowl and pour the milk mixture over the chicken so all the chicken legs are coated. Let the bowl sit in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- While it refrigerates, roll your Honey Bunches of Oats into smaller pieces, add the paprika and garlic powder to it, and place on a plate ready for rolling the chicken.
- Next, preheat your oven to 375 F.
- When ready, remove the chicken legs from the fridge and take 1 chicken leg at a time, shake off any excess milk mixture, then roll in the Honey Bunches of Oats mixture, making sure to cover each side, then place each leg into a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until 165 F.
- While the chicken bakes, make your honey mustard sauce and waffles and chop some green onions for on top.
For the sauce, I made a simple honey mustard sauce using 1/4 cup honey, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup spicy mustard, some cayenne pepper, and some lemon juice. And for the cereal crumb coat, I used Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted. It adds a great honey flavor! I had to break it down into smaller pieces so it would stick to the chicken by putting it in a zipped bag and going over it with a rolling pin.But you could also use Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. And Post cereals has a variety of flavors to make everyone in the family happy. Honey Bunches of Oats Gluten Free Chocolate is their new flavor as well as Kung Fu Panda Po Power Crunch and Crunch O’s.
And if you would like the recipe for the savory waffle, check out my Savory Waffle Recipe right here and let me know in the comments if you’ll go sweet or savory with the waffle?