If you caught my Southern-Style Spring Brunch Party from Sunday, then you saw my savory Chicken and Waffle Sliders made on savory homemade waffles mixed with red peppers and jalapenos to add a bit of a spicy kick! I tried making the waffles themselves as individual little slider waffles, but that was taking WAY too long, so I just made big whole waffles and cut them into quarters for the sliders. You can make your own fried chicken or heat up frozen chicken as the middle. I went with frozen since I made the waffles from scratch. Then top your chicken with blue cheese crumbles and crispy bacon before sandwiching it between the top waffle. Add a little bit more blue cheese on top, then drizzle it with some maple syrup and you have a tasty Chicken and Waffle Slider!
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 Tb butter, melted
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of pickled jalapenos, diced
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, de-stemmed
- 12-18 pieces of fresh or frozen fried or breaded chicken
- 8 slices of bacon, crispy
- 1 cup of blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- If you're using fresh fried chicken, start by making that and then keep it warm in the oven as you make your waffles.
- To make the waffles, first, dice your onions, red peppers, and jalapenos.
- Then mix your waffle ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Next, if you're using frozen chicken, heat it in the oven.
- As your waffle maker heats up, cook your bacon (I use the microwave because I wanted flat, crispy bacon).
- Then cook your waffles, following the waffle maker manufacturer's instructions.
- Slice your waffle into quarters, add a spoonful of blue cheese to the bottom waffle, top it with 1-2 pieces of chicken, followed by 1-2 pieces of bacon, then finish the waffle top. Use a toothpick to secure if needed.
- Top the waffle slider with another spoonful of blue cheese, some maple syrup, and a sprig of rosemary if you want to be fancy.