It’s like the perfect mix of end of Summer and beginning of Fall. Did you catch last Friday’s caramel apple? It was an over the top White Chocolate Potato Chip Caramel Apple. Don’t forget, I’m sharing a new caramel apple recipe along with some tips and tricks for making them every Friday this month.
Last week’s tip was how to remove the apple’s wax so that the caramel adheres to the apple. This week’s tip is to set the apple down on the counter before inserting the stick. You need to insert the stick into the apple’s core, but apples don’t sit up straight, so if you would like straighter sticks, then you need to insert the stick while the apple is sitting so you can be sure the stick is straight, not that the core is straight. Mine are slightly off, but I wonder just how OFF they would be if I hadn’t set them on the counter.
And the s’mores caramel apple is awesome! It’s an apple, dipped in caramel, dipped in chocolate, then the bottom is rolled in graham cracker crumbs before chopped bits of chocolate bar are added to the middle and mini marshmallows are added to the top.
- 5 apples, de-waxed
- 5 sticks
- 1 bag of caramel bits
- 1 bag of milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped chocolate bar
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows
- Remove the wax from the apples by dipping each apple into boiling water mixed with 2 tsp. vinegar for 4 seconds each and wipe off.
- Insert your popsicle sticks into the apple core.
- Refrigerate your apples while melting the caramel bits.
- Once the caramel is melted, dip each apple in caramel up to and including where the stick is inserted to seal the apple.
- Allow the excess caramel to drip off and scrape the bottom of the apple of excess caramel before placing the apple on wax paper.
- Once all 5 apples are dipped, melt your chocolate chips according the manufacturer's instructions on the back of the bag.
- While the chips are melting, prep your graham cracker crumbs, chopped chocolate bar, and mini marshmallows - have them ready on a flat surface, ready to roll the apple into.
- Then dip your caramel apple in the chocolate about ⅔ of the way up to the top and immediately dip the bottom in graham cracker crumbs, press chocolate bar bits around the middle and mini marshmallows around the top.
- Return to wax paper and place in fridge to set.
- Repeat this process for the remaining apples.
Be sure to check back next week for another caramel apple recipe!