Ok, this might be my most terrifying Halloween recipe ever … and I LOVE it! These bloody finger hot dogs for Halloween are so gross and yet so amazing, all at the same time! If you’re having a Halloween party, you have to make these, they are so simple to make and they will be a gross party hit for sure! They take “finger food” to a new extreme!
And you only need about 20 minutes and a few ingredients to make these Bloody Severed Finger Hot Dogs including hot dogs, hot dog buns, ketchup, and water. It’s a pretty inexpensive Halloween dinner and you can make them before going trick-or-treating!
Have you ever thrown a Halloween party with a bunch of “gross” looking food? I think it would be really fun for older kids, pre-teens, and adults along with an “eyeball punch” and “witch’s finger” pretzels or cookies.
I don’t think you really need a formal recipe, but I’m going to put my tips/tricks for cutting the knuckles and nails in this recipe box so you can print it out if needed.
- hot dogs
- hot dog buns
- optional: thinly sliced onion as fingernail
- Start a large pot of water boiling on the stove.
- To make the fingernails and knuckles, slice the two sides of the fingernail, then straight across the top. Then make a slight curved slice for the bottom nail bed. Next, take your knife and carefully slice the tiny piece off. See the below photo in the blog post for sizing to see how big you want to make your nail.
- Next, to make the knuckles, make one slit along the middle with two crescent slits directly above and below. Then halfway between the knuckle and the nail, make two crescent slits. Repeat at the very bottom.
- Boil the hot dogs for 4-5 minutes.
- Then place each "finger" into a hot dog bun loaded with ketchup - be sure to smear some ketchup on the bottom of each "severed finger" and more at the top of the bun.
- If you want, you can add a thinly sliced square piece of white onion for the "nail," but it's a bit of extra work that I didn't think was needed.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at NO additional cost to you. It just means I made it easier for you to find something, so I earn a few a few cents from the sale. I appreciate your support of Salty Canary. Thank you!
Below is a quick photo so you can see how large to make the nail. The one on the left was the first nail I cut and I didn’t think it was big enough to be realistic, so I went a little bigger like the one on the right.
Let me know in a comment below if you’re brave enough to eat a Bloody Finger Hot Dog for Halloween this year!
Looking for more Halloween inspiration? Check out a few more spooky recipes below!
Halloween Monster PopcornContinue Reading
Halloween Misfortune Cookies RecipeContinue Reading
Spooky Halloween MilkshakesContinue Reading
Halloween Monster FloatsContinue Reading
Chocolate Spider Halloween DonutsContinue Reading
Halloween Candy Corn DonutsContinue Reading
Halloween Monster Candy Kabobs or Swizzle SticksContinue Reading