Mashed Potato Pizza Recipe
Pizza is the most popular food item to serve at a Super Bowl party, but this Mashed Potato Pizza is different than a regular ol’ pizza and you can mix up the toppings and add exactly what you like!
I just went with the standard baked potato mix-ins: cheddar cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, and chives. But feel free to add anything else you like including:
- green onions
- black beans
- greek yogurt (instead of the sour cream)
The full, printable recipe is below, but here are the ingredients for my classic fully-loaded mashed potato pizza:
Mashed Potato Pizza Ingredients
- Pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Instant mashed potato mix
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
In order to make it fast and easy, I used store-bought pizza dough and instant mashed potatoes.
If you have the time and want to make everything from scratch, great! Do it! It will taste even more amazing!
But, if you’re hosting a big crowd for the Super Bowl and want to make it easier on yourself then use store-bought ingredients and instant mixes where you can! I’m sure you would much rather visit with friends and family and watch the game (or the commercials or half time show at least) than stand in the kitchen and cook!
Recommended Kitchen Equipment:
It’s a pretty self-explanatory recipe. You make a pizza and pre-bake the dough. But then, instead of the sauce, use mashed potatoes. And then add cheese and toppings. Bake until cheese melts and then top with sour cream and chives!
But here’s the more detailed explanation, using the store-bought ingredients.
How to Make a Mashed Potato Pizza:
Start by cooking the bacon. I like to make mine in the oven – it’s just easier with no oil splatter on my stove top or fire alarms going off. Depending on the bacon’s thickness, it only takes about 15-20 minutes.
Preheat to 375 F and lay each strip of bacon onto a foil-wrapped baking sheet, making sure the strips do not touch. Bake for 10-15 minutes, flip each strip, then bake another 5 minutes.
Remove bacon from the oven and let rest on a plate covered in a paper towel to allow excess oil to drain/dry.
Next, bake your pizza dough per the manufacturer’s instructions. Mine is usually like pre-bake the dough for 8 minutes at 400 degrees F. I’ll even take a rectangular pre-made dough and force it to become a circular pizza dough. Then I brush olive oil onto the outer crust and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning.
While the pizza dough is pre-baking, make your instant mashed potatoes per the manufacturer’s instructions. Then, once the pizza dough is done, remove from the oven and use the instant mashed potatoes as a “red sauce.” Then top with some grated cheddar cheese and diced bacon “bits.”
Put the pizza back in the oven for about 5-6 minutes to melt the cheese.
While pizza bakes the second time, add some sour cream to a pastry bag or freezer bag and cut off the tip.
Once the cheese is melted, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then top with a drizzle of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.
Seriously, when my husband and I both bit into this pizza, we were both blown away by just how good it was!
The crust was crunchy, the potatoes were creamy, the cheese was, well, cheesy, and the bacon was crispy!
I think the trick for the dough is to bake it twice! First, bake it for 8 minutes, then add the toppings, and bake the pizza until everything in melted perfectly. But I think it’s the twice-baked method that makes the pizza dough so crunchy and not soggy!
I used the Idaho Spuds Creamy Ranch flavor which I think gave it an extra kick! But, I can’t wait to try it again with the Roasted Garlic flavor!
Here’s the full recipe:
- 1 store-bought pizza dough
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 package instant mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 2 Tbsp chives
- Preheat your oven and roll out your pizza dough (store bought or homemade) onto a pizza pan. Drizzle olive oil on the edges and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake your dough in the oven for about 8 minutes or per manufacturer's instructions.
- While dough cooks, make your Idaho Spuds by following the instructions on the package.
- When the dough is done, spread your cooked Idaho Spuds on your pizza dough like you would do if it was pizza sauce. Then top with cheddar cheese and the crispy, cooked, crumbled bacon.
- Bake again for about 5-6 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- While pizza bakes the second time, add some sour cream to a pastry bag or freezer bag and cut off the tip.
- When pizza is done, remove from oven and drizzle sour cream over the pizza and sprinkle with chives.
- Slice and enjoy!