I’m getting ready for the Big Game with this Fully Loaded Mashed Potato Pizza! It is amazingly delicious and is a perfect appetizer or snack to feed your guests on game day! Plus, it’s something different than the regular ol’ pizza and you can mix up the toppings and add exactly what you like! I just went with the standard baked potato mix ins – cheddar cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, and chives. And in order to make it fast and easy, I used store-bought pizza dough and Idaho Spuds instant mashed potatoes. If you’re hosting a big crowd for the Big Game, make it easier on yourself and use store-bought ingredients and instant mixes where you can! I’m sure you would much rather visit with friends and family and watch the game (or the commercials or half time show at least) than stand in the kitchen cooking! It’s a pretty self-explanatory recipe – you make a pizza, but instead of the sauce, use mashed potatoes. And then add cheese and toppings. Bake and add sour cream and chives! But if you want the exact recipe, it’s below.
- 1 pizza dough
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 package Idaho Spuds, Creamy Ranch flavor
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 2 Tbsp chives
- Preheat your oven and roll out your pizza dough (store bought or homemade) onto a pizza pan. Drizzle olive oil on the edges and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake your dough in the oven for about 8 minutes or per manufacturer's instructions.
- While dough cooks, make your Idaho Spuds by following the instructions on the package.
- When the dough is done, spread your cooked Idaho Spuds on your pizza dough like you would do if it was pizza sauce. Then top with cheddar cheese and the crispy, cooked, crumbled bacon.
- Bake again for about 5-6 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- While pizza bakes the second time, add some sour cream to a pastry bag or freezer bag and cut off the tip.
- When pizza is done, remove from oven and drizzle sour cream over the pizza and sprinkle with chives.
- Slice and enjoy!
Seriously, when the Mister and I bit into this pizza, we were both blown away by just how good it was! The crust was crunchy, the potatoes were creamy, the cheese was, well, cheesy, and the bacon was crispy! I think the trick for the dough is to bake it twice! First, bake it for 8 minutes, then add the toppings, and bake the pizza until everything in melted perfectly. But I think it’s the twice-baked method that makes the pizza dough so crunchy and not soggy! I used the Idaho Spuds Creamy Ranch flavor which I think gave it an extra kick! But, I can’t wait to try it again with the Roasted Garlic flavor!
Click through to the Idaho Spuds Game Day Sweepstakes to enter for a chance to win a Big Adventure in Boise, ID! To enter, simple choose your favorite Game Day recipe (look for this one, wink, wink!)! Grand prize includes airfare for 2 and a 3-night stay at the Modern Hotel in Boise, Idaho, plus rental car, gas and spending money, and a year supply of Idaho Spuds Flavored Mash.And be sure to pin this recipe to Pinterest to remember it for next year or for in the fall when football season starts up again! And if you’re looking for decorations, you can find the tutorial for my Astroturf Football Bunting Garland here.